Monday, September 29, 2008

one less weekend


The weekend did not go as well as I had hoped. I did get some painting accomplished. I mixed some wonderful colors and gave a first coat to about 6 pieces of paper. The painting above (that I can't find any info about just now) was my inspiration for the color pallette. I also used some greys and blues, which I think were inspired by t he rainy weather.
A friend gave me the nicest compliment last Sunday at Artists Row. She said my work reminded her of Loiuse Bourgeois' work - I don't think I am any where near to that level of emotional energy and raw instinctual imagary, but it made me feel good and I may pursue that ideal in my work more because of it. I love the rich blacks of this piece (Connecticutiana, by Louise Bourgeois 1944/45). I especially love the negative/positive shapes/spaces.
I don't think I will ever be fully aware on a Friday of the fact that I cannot make a painting in a weekend. I get myself all psyched up with ideas and images and then my hand hurts after about an hour of painting and I realize I have to work more slowly. So maybe by Christmas I will have some new work to show off...

I also completed a dozen recycled bottle glass earrings and when I gave them the patina and washed them the text and images on the glass washed off too. That has not hapened before. I cannot figure out what I did differently, but now I have twelve pairs of boring brown glass earrings. In an attempt to make lemonade out of lemons, I started to collage the backs, but my heart was not in it.

No comments: