Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day

I have only the highest admiration for those who fight the fight from which so many of us run. This is not just an American holiday to me - I think of all the countries at war now and in the past and all the brave men, women and children who had to fight for their lives. I feel so fortunate and privileged to be safe in my home with unlocked doors. I am very lucky.

Obama spoke today at the tomb of the unknown soldier, he said,

"This day is about you and the fallen heroes you loved. It is their courage, their unselfishness, their devotion to duty that has sustained this country through all its trials and will sustain us through all our trials to come,"

"To those of you who mourn the loss of a loved one today, my heart breaks, goes out to you. I love my daughters more than anything in the world, and I cannot imagine losing them. I can't imagine losing a sister or brother or parent at war,"

"The grief so many of you carry in your hearts is a grief I cannot fully know," Obama said. "It's a day that has a meaning for all Americans."


No comments: