Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Saturday, June 27, 2009
Friday, June 26, 2009
Monday, June 15, 2009
And then do it..."
Duane Michals' work is a hodgepodge of the brilliant, metaphysical and playful, and has changed the face of photography. For four decades he has asked questions with photography rather than give answers.
Sunday, June 14, 2009
Here is the bag I mentioned earlier that I knit up alot of the itchy wool yarn I have that is just no good for sweaters or mittens. I have a few more skeins of the periwinke and it becomes a very soft material when fulled. So I have begun another bag using that yarn. 144 sts. per side on 9s! I know it seems that might as well make a sweater, but I have such difficulty following patterns. The bags are easy because I just knit stockinette for a very long time. And the yarn was paid for a very long time ago. The bag pictured was 104 sts on 9s (two pieces sewn tog as I dislikes circulars), worsted weight itchy wool yarns and it shrunk up to a perfect 10 x 12 inch bag.
Thursday, June 11, 2009
I know very little about any of those 200 varieties of sheep. And now that I am getting into spinning more and more it seems that it kind of matters...I guess I need to get this book.
The publishers have a quiz you can take and find out which ewe you are...I am a Rambouillet. A fine wool. Pretty nice huh? I think it is a sort of sexy sheep.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Oh, who am I kidding, I need to complete the thing and move onto the long list of the things I have on the needles.
List of all the things I have already started:
1. I have been knitting all my itchy awful wool yarns into a striped bag/purse to be fulled (as fulled is the correct term for when you wash a knitted wool object in order to felt it).
2. I started a baby sweater using the off white hand spun cotton I got at the Guild Auction.
3. I have a bubble gum pink cotton Aran baby sweater that I started possibly fifteen years ago.
4. I have to finish that horrible stripey cardigan. I still have to knit the sleeves and I just hate knitting on small circulars. I also have to knit the piping - so maybe I can get motivated to do that soon.
5. I started a beautiful intargia sweater years ago that is using various yarns for which I do not know the yardage. It is, so far, a brassy copper, dark chocoalate and raspberry. I have yet to find one more perfect complimentary yarn to make sure it will work. I have knit one side of the front and half of the back- hard to believe, isn't it? I really have to frog the front side piece and just can find the heart to do it.
6. I have fingerless gloves going (always).
7. A second bag to be fulled, made of an awful dirty snow colored mohair with sparkles. The sparkles get all over me when I work on it.
8. And today I am casting on for a lavender bag, the yarn is a great color, but itchy, itchy, itchy!
I think that's it.
Tuesday, June 9, 2009
It is only $14.50 and it comes with a CD of songs bythte same artist. I am trying hard not to buy everything I want lately - partially because our washing machine busted and the $600 for th e new (crappy) one was a little bit tof a shock to the bank account! I hate losing old appliances because I am never as happy with the new low quality replacement. But I will get this book someday soon.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
win: Ocean Blue "I Am A Ninja" Tote Bag, value: $15
4. f2images + blog.
win: any print of your choice, up to $25 value!
Thursday, June 4, 2009
TODAY is the opening day for the South Wedge Farmer's Market! Hooray! 4:00 - 8:00, but get there early you don't want to miss the lettuce toss and give aways.
Then you can head over to Rochester Contremporary...
As there is the amazing 6 X 6 show and sale at Roco
and there are imges of the 3000 plus works for viewing at RochesterContemporary.org
Hours: June 4, 7-10 pm, June 5 & 6, 1-6 pm
the sale of 6 X 6 works begins at 6:00 on Saturday, June 6th. This one is mine (we both love crows).
Also - On Friday June 5th, from 5-9 pm
Crocus Clay Works in Suite 225 in the Hungerford Building will have an open studio and reception for their Guest Artists' Exhibit -
Betsy Hoefen: Drawing / painting
And there is the Quilt Festival!
And ...The Gallery at Studio 34 on Elton Street is having an opening reception for Kathy Farrell's new work
It is also Fairport Canal Days and the East End Music Festival!!!
ALSO... don't miss
Out of the Fire and into the Garden
Friday June 5, 5pm - 9pm & Saturday, June 6, 11am - 4pm
This is a sale at More Fire of wonderful one-of-a-kind, handmade, garden pieces! This event will feature work by Nancy Valle, Paul Knoblauch, Elizabeth Lyons, Lori Mills, and others! Objects made from clay, metal, glass and mosaic including garden vessels, bird houses, tiles, benches, trellis, sculptural objects and more!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
Monday, June 1, 2009
by Rainer Maria Rilke
that like swift horses through the heavens raced
and suddenly leaped across the hurdles
of our wishes--do you recall?
And we made so many!
For there were countless numbers of stars:
each time we looked above we were
astounded by the swiftness of their daring play,
while in our hearts we felt safe and secure
watching these brilliant bodies disintegrate,
knowing somehow we had survived their fall.