Friday, April 9, 2010

Who does she think she is?


I have been asked to participate in a panel discussion about balancing art and life.

Hmmm...

I don't believe I balance anything very well, but I imagine (hope actually) that it will interesting for people to hear that... probably not - I guess I should come up with some fantastic fiction about how I am able to create, cook, clean, walk the dog, knit, market my work, shop, pick up, drop off, watch the birds and look gorgeous all while wagging my tail being a wonderful daughter, parent, wife, friend to those I love (not necessarily in that order).

I will be pretending to be perfect and discuss these art and life issues after the screening of the film "Who Does She Think She Is?" on Saturday, April 24 at 1:00 p.m. at the Memorial Art Gallery.

"Who Does She Think She Is?" is an 82-minute documentary by Pamela Tanner Boll and Nancy C. Kennedy about five women artists struggling to balance parenting and work, partnering and independence, economics and art.

After the screening, the audience is invited to join roundtable discussions moderated by Nora Bredes, Director of Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership, and led by area artists Kaaren Anderson, Nancy Gong, Shelly Green Stoller, Sarah Rutherford and Nancy Topolski (me!). Admission is $5 (includes film, activities and Gallery admission).

Children ages 3 and up may participate in an art activity in the Creative Workshop during the screening and roundtable discussion. There is no extra charge for this art activity, but advance registration is required; please call 276.8959.

The program is funded by the New York Council for the Humanities with support from co-presenters the Memorial Art Gallery, UR's Susan B. Anthony Center for Women's Leadership and UR's Art and Art History Department.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very exciting! I'm disappointed I won't be able to be there. I would definitely attend (if it weren't for the 12-hour drive). Hope it goes well. Please report back afterwards!
David Ettinger