Friday, April 17, 2009

Yarn of an unknown source

I am more afraid of an army of 100 sheep led by a lion than an army of 100 lions led by a sheep.

- Charles-Maurice de Talleyrand

I purchased this yarn with no label at a yarn auction. I really like it and am wondering what it is. I believe it is hand spun (actually it is quite over spun), it has no odor at all and is pretty soft. I am certain it is a natural fiber and maybe it was spun so long ago and any natural element has dissipated.

Then I saw a post at Lolly Knitting Around and I think the yarn is similar to something she used. (From http://lollygirl.com/blog/page/4)

“The yarn was wonderful to knit. It was raw and over spun in sections and crunchy and flubby and perfect. I love to be reminded of the source when I am knitting. In this case, the source was some lovely ivory fleeced Chilean cordero.”

I researched the term cordero and found it is simply Spanish for lamb. But I think it may be a term used for a type of South American sheep. (Most of what I found were recipes on how to prepare lamb). I had originally thought that this yarn I have is wool and the little pieces of wood and straw in it made me think it was from South America. It reminds me of those itchy sweaters you can get a flea markets and summer craft festivals. But this yarn is finely spun, not bulky and very, very soft.

Later.... I am sure it is cotton , now that I have worked with it all day - it has got to be cotton. I never saw hand spun natural cotton befoe. I have started a little baby sweater, it should be very sweet.

I just found out that I get to watch the movie Gattaca in the classes I am subbing in today - it is one of my all time favorite movies. Uma Thurman, Ethan Hawke and Jude Law...mmmm. The story illustrates that there is no gene for the human spirit and that enthusiasm and drive can overcome any obstacle.

1 comment:

t does wool said...

lovely yarn and I do hope you enjoyed the movie..Uma and Ethan..what else can you say...!