Monday, August 24, 2009

Empowered

I feel a lot less helpless today. I saw Inglourious Basterds last night and it gave me courage and stamina. Simply, the best movie I have ever seen. As a film, it is brilliant.As a story it is captivating, thrilling and full of feeling.
It has shocking visual stills, gorgeous scenes and scenery and unbelievably interesting nods to other
cinematic masterpieces.

You can probably tell that I really enjoyed the character of Shosanna Dreyfus, played by Melanie Laurent. You can read the NY Times review here. Although I disagree with much of the text, I did like this group of sentences -

As usual Mr. Tarantino gives you a lot to chew on, though there’s plenty to gag on as well. Much depends on whether you can just groove on his framing and staging, his swooping crane shots, postmodern flourishes (Samuel L. Jackson in voice-over explaining the combustibility of nitrate prints) and gorgeously saturated colors, one velvety red in particular.

I did not know it is a somewhat re-make of obscure spaghetti WWII and forgotten B-movie classic,
The Inglorious Bastards. This really isn't important. I just thought it was interesting.

Finally, there was some sun today and I was able to get photos of gloves taken.
These are made from recycled repurposed sweater sleeves that have been fulled (felted) in the washing machine. The gloves are simply the ends of the sleeves of the sweater. The tops are the ribbing of the sleeve, the other ends are rough cut as the thumb hole is too. I am trying to get them posted now and then we are off to shop for school supplies.

No comments: